Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Cow Tits and Other Fascinating School Adventures

Ok so because I do not have the internet everyday I write my blogs in word and then copy and paste them when I can.  That is why there are three posts with "September 13th" as the date.  They are all from this past week.  

 (Sept. 12th) Yes, “cow tits” will be explained in an appropriate manner. Because of the language barrier, many of my conversations with my classmates are a mix of horrible German and garbled English (at least we try :P) Many times either I or they cannot find the word we need in our less perfected language, and thus we have to use other means to get our point across. In this case, the word “udder” was the unknown. Therefore, cow tits was the most suitable substitute :D OBVIOUSLY. Not to mention our entire group spent the next 15 minutes laughing, saying “cow tits,” and then laughing more.  Oh, and this story also explains the reason that Vivi posted those picture to my wall.  Ok onward and upward.

(Sept. 9th) The other day I was asked a question by Sina, my guide/lifeline at school, in a very serious manner. “Do you really have yellow buses for school in the USA?” I said yes and proceeded to explain the “school bus” concept. You know, a bus only for students, the stop signs, flashing lights, stupid bus drills, etc. I don't think she quite believed me. Here we ride the public buses and trains to get to school, which means that you have to watch out for yourself. No stop sign and no guaranteed stop at your stop (you have to remember to push the red button, which signals the driver that you need to get off). When she asked, “But what about the public transportation?” I explained that we practically have no public transportation. That answer solidified her disbelief in my story.

( September 6th) Most of you that are reading this know me very well, and know that I'm not much of a comedian. However, here they do not know me well, and seem to find me very funny. I bet that is my pronunciation, my overall confused look, my misunderstanding of their everyday culture, and my stomach growling. Yes, I just said stomach growling.... I was REALLY hungry, okay! I had slept through my alarm and didn't have time for breakfast. Here you can't just pull a snack out in class if you're hungry. Instead, we have designated breaks throughout the day when we can eat. My stomach didn't make it to the break. Yeah, everyone liked that one.

Today (Sept. 13th) we had our fire drill. Apparently we only have one a year, and that was it. It was announced over the intercom, and initially the person announced it to be the lock-in drill of the year, but in mid announcement she decided to make it the fire drill. So once everyone was all locked in with the windows closed and the lights off, we had to turn the lights on, unlock the door, and run outside. Yes, in Germany, they run. And they talk. And they bring their things so that they can listen to music and text. Yep, Germany fire drills are way more awesome and way less safe than American fire drills. I think I prefer the safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment